Friday, November 6, 2015

A Pirate's Life: Chapter 4



>>The story continues....


[The Raw Deal, Captain's Cabin]

Day 4:

We have been at sea for a few days now, I think I have a good handle on those who have answered my call to serve as crew. They are the same ilk as always, half of them vagabonds and the other half miserable sailors. It's really no wonder why they were all stuck on 'Kresh for so long. Any Captain with a need for 'good' hands would skip over each of these sorry excuses. Some of them seem more suited for a river ferry and not this sea-faring vessel.

Perhaps I do judge them harshly, but as their superior I must. Each of them is my senior in age if not experience though my knowledge does make theirs seem childish in comparison. I suppose this, if nothing else, keeps them subservient to me. I have come a long way from my simple dreams sitting alone on a beach, I guess it is more of an outward change than I thought.

One or two of them I recognize from my younger days. Strange how four years could seem like an eternity.

~K

* * *

Day 7:

A storm has rolled over our course, it is like many I have seen out on these waters and I have given the command that we will ride through it. As the clouds rolled in, I stood on deck an absorbed the majesty that is the tempest. Storms like this would frequently roll onto the beach, often bringing with them treasures from shores far removed from the one I was edging out my living on.

I suppose life would have been easier if I had let that smelly hermit take me in, but I did not trust him. I never could. He seemed like he was hiding from something, though I could never discern what it was. He was a hard man to broker a deal with also, such a greedy old man. Good riddance. However, if he had been my warden then maybe I would not have been found by those miserable pirates. Thus, I would not be where I am now.

The old man was good for very few things. He did, however, teach me the ways of the knife and he gave many useful lessons which I still practice to this day. I suppose I will always owe him that bit of favor. And in the end, if it were not for his greedy ways, I would probably not have the needed charts to pursue this adventure I have given my savings to pay for.

~K

* * *

Day 8:

The storm continues. What I thought was just a simple squall has grown into a chaotic mess. In the midst of it all, one of the men spot something bobbing on the waves off the port bow. A curious sailor asked if he could have permission to throw a hook out for it. I didn't care much for the man so I said yes, hoping he would be pulled off the deck and I could be free of him.

To my surprise, he was able to not only catch the item on the first throw but also pull it in on his own. I should remember that. I might have need of it in the future. However, I was further surprised when we found that what was hauled in was not a piece of sea trash or ship wreckage... it was a man. Well, sort of.

It was one of the reclusive Merlew, it would seem that while following some pirates he allowed his guard to drop and was attacked by a hunting shark. Now wounded, he is unable to dive to the deeper depths to escape the storm raging in the shallows. I have always found them to be a curious sort and given him a portion of my cabin to rest in.

As he sleeps I wonder what sort of secrets I might be able to wrench out of him before he parts with my company.

~K

* * *

Day 11:

One of the crew has been killed. I find myself angry though I cannot reason why. Perhaps it is because I was not the one to take his life, or perhaps it was because I still don't know who I will or won't need in order to finish my tasks. The knife wound was clean, the line deep across his throat would have prevented any sort of struggle or scream. I can tell just from this one detail that we are dealing with an accomplished killer on this boat. I shall have to increase my vigilance among these vagabonds.

The Merlew sleeps all the time, he has woken only a few times to request water from me. I have yet to learn anything more about him. I wonder what it would be like to have hands like his. I wonder, does he wonder what it would be like to have hands like mine?

~K

* * *

Day 14:

Another of the crew killed. Same manner. I suspect everyone. The storm still rages. I don't sleep well during times like this...

~K

* * *

Day 17:

After seven days, the storm has finally ceased. There have been no more murders, however tension on the ship is thick enough to break steel. I expect I will have to do something about this, some of the sailors have already begun to lash out at each other. If it continues like this I could potentially have either a riot or a mob on my hands. Both of which are not something you want on a ship in the middle of the ocean.

The Merlew has begun to talk more, however, it seems to be him with all the questions that need answering. I tell him very little, or at least attempt to be as vague as possible. I expect that he can see me side-stepping in our conversation, as they are less like chats and more like duels with words.

He has told me that he is a pirate hunter, and that encourages my suspicions that it is him who is killing members of my crew. Though I can not openly accuse him, not just yet. I have to think of a way to get him to trust me so that I can learn what he knows, after that... who knows?

~K

* * *

Day 19:

Well, it would seem my hand will be forced in the end. The Merlew made an attempt on a crewman's life and it backfired on him. It appears that several of the crew set-up the target so that he would be in an enticing position for the pirate hunter. As he moved in for the kill, other members of the crew surrounded him and caught him in a net. Luckily, I was able to stop them before they could enact their idea of punishment.

After some talking, I was able to convince them that we should hold the Merlew and find out what he knows about us. The crew was eager to torture the creature, but I told them that it was my place as the Captain to extract whatever information I could. I also said that if I was unable to glean anything of worth, that they would be free to pursue whatever justice they felt fit.

The Merlew was sobbing. I felt sympathy for it, having been caught in the act. Maybe he was not nearly as skilled as I had originally thought. Regardless, I cannot let the crew kill him. Perhaps if I could use this to my advantage and befriend the Merlew, then he would tell me what he knows.

I'll have to think up a plan.

~K


>>Fin?

No comments:

Post a Comment