Friday, November 6, 2015

A Pirate's Life: Chapter 2



The story continues...


[Mer'Kresh, Alley]

Dumping out the contents of the coinpurse in one hand, the Rakash notices several silver and gold coins which he quickly pockets. Aside from those few Lirums, there is nothing else of obvious value here.

The Rakash stops for a moment and arranges his clothing, he must be sure to present himself as an upstanding member of the citizenry. His clothing is spotless, the rich hide a far throw away from the simple canvas he once shrouded his frame in. He has worked hard to have these people see him as an honest businessman and able captain. Nobody must know the lengths he had to go to in order to secure enough funds to solidfy the upcoming transaction. These extra coins might be the few that give him his next meal tonight.

Stepping through the tavern door the young Rakash captain is waved down by a gaut-looking man sitting at a solitary table in the back. He approaches, standing at the edge of the table and waiting to be offered a seat.

"Yer, a little younger than I thought ya would be."

"My apologies, sir. I did not see the need to inform you of my age. Will this be a problem for you? If you would like I can take my leave..."

"Wait just a roi there..." the gaunt man says with hushed breath. "Ya's got the money right?"

The Rakash nods.

"Well then sit, boy. We'll talk 'bout this here map I've got."

As the Rakash captain takes his seat, a barmaid comes to offer him a drink. He buys two flagons of the house ale, offering one to the man sitting opposite.

"Now, good sir. I am just an honest businessman, I make my living doing simple deeds for the people of the islands. I tire of this and seek some adventure to brighten my life. An associate of mine told me that he heard talk of an item in your possession...."

"And here we are." the gaunt man finishes his sentence. "Well, yer pal there didn't lie. I've got somthin' of interest. If it'll lead to adventure... who knows?"

"What have we here?" the young captain muses.

Flattening the crumpled cloth shows what appears to be a map, stained with grime and spilled drinks. Despite the wretched condition of the material, the embroidery is still very much readable. The Rakash's mind begins to race with thoughts of hidden treasure and pirated spoils.

A curious symbol is stitched into the top corner of the fabric, it's heavy threads becoming frayed and slightly unraveled. A skull rests atop a pair of crossed spears with a wavy string of music notes spilling out of its screaming mouth.

"Okay, okay." the gaunt-looking man says. "Ya seen enough of it. So, whatcha say? Ya wants it?"

"First, I would like the story of how this came into your hands." the Rakash says. "This will decide if I will purchase it."

"Okay, that seems fair." the gaunt man says before taking a drink.

"Well, I was walkin 'round in the 'bandoned neighborhood. Doin' my civic duty fighting off them buggers. Theys got all 'round me and I had to duck into a rundown house jes ta get away."

"It started gettin' dark, so I had'ta make the palce safe. I checked all the doors and winders, they was good. I knew the best thing to scare them caracals away is a good fire. I started searching the area for anything that would burn."

"I was digging through this old desk for some papers to use as tinder when I found it." the man pauses to take another drink. "As you can tell it's rather unique so I put it in mah pocket and not the fireplace."

"That all sounds reasonable to me." the Rakash says. "And the price, although steep, is still a fair price for a mystery. Alright, sir. You have a deal."

Producing a single bank note, the Rakash offers it to the gaunt-man for inspection.

"As you see, this note is good for the agreed amount. Do you accept?" he asks.

"Aye. Seems genuine." he says as he hands over his fabric in trade for the note.

Tucking the fabric into his boat cloak, the Rakash makes a motion to stand. The gaunt man stops him before he can even rise.

"For another drink, I can tell ya what I have been able to find out 'bout that there cloth." he says.

The Rakash is already quite tired of the man's stench and slurred speech, however, drunkards make for loose talkers and right now any information at all is a valuable asset.

"It would be my pleasure, sir." the Rakash says with a forced smile.

Ordering another round of drinks, the young Rakash says a silent thanks for the coin purse he snatched earlier. Therengian Lirums are still Lirums in the end and worth the small amount of effort it took to acquire them. He doesn't feel anything towards the off-islanders, he only cares about the money they bring with them.

The man begins to talk, speaking of times when there were many pirate clans instead of the few. How each would keep a secret cove, or haven, where they would hoard their most valuable goods and items. Rumors circulated of entire rooms dedicated to treasure as you would see in any of the royal depositories.

He said it was common for the Captain of the vessel and him only to have the map to the secret cove, so that he may meet with his brotherhood and divide their spoils. From each meeting, a small amount would be set aside for future endeavors. Over time, that amount would continue to grow until it would cause the need for said treasure rooms.

He thinks that this map, may lead to such a place.

"But, it's pretty old to have been back there. Who knows what's become of the pirates that used'ta use that symbol." he finishes with a hiccup.

"Say, yer a nice kid." the man says as he pinches the Rakash's cheek in a manner unfitting of strangers.

The Rakash takes a sharp breath, resisting the urge to grab the man's hands and cut each offending finger off one-by-one. The idea of a treasure so large that it could set him up for life is far more important than protecting his personal space at this juncture.

"Ya remind me of mah' own son." the man says with sorrow in his voice. "He used ta come down here and fetch me when the wife would be sore of me not comin home."

He downs the last of the drink, wobbling slightly as he attempts to maintain his composure.

"Hey!" he says loudly. "Yer think yas can help an old man to his home?"

"You are not old, you are drunk." the Rakash says.

"So what if I am?" the man asks accusingly." Yer was the one who gots me the extra drinks. I'm partly yer respon... spon... ponsiblity. Ya gonna take me or not?"

"Oh.." the Rakash says, suddenly inspired by a wicked thought. "Yes. I will take you. Yes."

"Hey!" someone shouts from the back of the bar. "I thought I told you not to show your face around here until you can pay up what you owe me!"

The gaunt man turns around quick, "Oh!"

He glances nervously at the exit then at the Rakash." I'll be right... there." He finally says.

"Well..." hic "Buddy. Thanks fer the offer, but I think..." he says slowly, trying to fight the occasional wobble in his stance. "I think the nights not over fer me yet."

As he leaves the belligerent man to his drinks the Rakash scowls at the missed opportunity to regain his spent fortune. Though perhaps it is for the better, his presence here was noticed and someone would surely remember the two of them leaving together. Better to sacrifice the coin on this one.

Only if this map pays out. Otherwise....

The wicked thought returns to his mind and a broad smile chases the scowl from his face.

"I suppose I'll have to speak with my old friend again..." he says quietly to himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment